Friday, July 5, 2013

Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale) - Chanda Hahn Review


Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #2)

Book Series: An Unfortunate Fairy Tale
Book: Fairest
Author: Chanda Hahn
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Retellings

Book Synopsis:
Mirror, Mirror, on the wall,
Who is the Fairest of them all?

In the sequel to UnEnchanted, Mina Grime discovers that all is not fair when it comes to the Fae and their tales, especially when they don’t all play by the rules. Barely surviving the Story’s first fairy tale quest, Mina still has hundreds to go before she can end the curse on her family. But a new player arises to challenge Mina while new rules revamp the game she has just barely begun to understand.
All the while, people are mysteriously disappearing, including Jared, whom Mina must finally determine to be friend or foe. And with the loss of her greatest weapon, Mina must try to outwit a deadly hunter. Can Mina survive the most difficult quest yet while protecting those she loves from falling victim to one of the lethal tales of all? Or will she become a pawn when she strikes a bargain with the Queen of Fae?

Book Review: 
You have to always be on alert, especially when you never know what part you end playing. This books holds itself up to the standards that were set by the first book in the series and I certainly hope that the next book does quite the same.
The characters were lovable all over again. I felt pain for Mina over the loss of love, felt her anger and jealously as she realized love was being taken away from her yet again, and relief over saving those she loved. Our two leading men were just as deliciously lovely as ever, as well as the two leading ladies being as lovable as ever no matter how sassy they got with one another. There was some lovely action, getting lost in the woods and the grim reaper himself! There was the right amount of loss, love, unspoken yearning, jealousy and a "happily ever after" in the loose sense of the words. The ending made me happy and quite upset at the same time. Everything was as it should be but the pain that I felt over the loss Mina was going through told me that maybe things should be different. But not everything is a happily ever after. 


Favorite Quotes: 
" There's no such tihng as fair when i comes to the Fae and their tales."
"Mina's room liked messy. Nan's looked like a bomb went off in it."
"I can't believe it took you so long to figure it out. The audio doesn't exactly work if I try to summon you from my end, if you may recall. But what can you expect when I try and mimic a Disney movie?"
"Tell your King and Queen to send their best becuase this tale is about to be rewritten:"

All In All: 
This book made me love the series all the more! It was a great fairy tale retelling, capturing elements that I enjoy into this book almost seamlessly. The author has truly outdone herself yet again. If you haven't read the first one what are you waiting for? And if you have and haven't read the second, I think you know what you should be reading right now? ;)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Samantha! I saw your post on goodreads and wanted to stop by and say hello! I am not following your blog :) BTW I love the neon colors and the main header image! It RAWKS!

    I am a sucker for fairy tales. Actually, when I was in college, I took a Folklore, Legends & Fairytale course which was really awesome. Since there are so many authors writing retellings of different fairytales, it's hard to find ones that stand out. But this series, my dear, sounds interesting! Thanks for the recommendation and great review!

    Feel free to stop by my blog sometime. Always looking for new blogger buddies to chat with!

    Best Wishes,
    Mia @ The Muses Circle
    http://themusescircle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete