Sunday, September 15, 2013

Kiss of Fire (Imdalind Series #1) – Rebecca Ethington Review


17280547

Series: Imdalind
Book: Kiss of Fire
Author: Rebecca Ethington
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Romance, Fantasy

Book Synopsis:
Joclyn Despain has been marred by a brand on her skin. She doesn't know why the mark appeared on her neck, but she doesn't want anyone to see it, including her best friend Ryland, who knows everything else about her. The scar is the reason she hides herself behind baggy clothes, and won't let the idea of kissing Ryland enter her mind, no matter how much she wants to.
The scar is the reason she is being hunted.
If only she knew that she was.
If only she had known that the cursed stone her estranged father sent for her 16th birthday would trigger a change in her. Now, she is being stalked by a tall blonde man, and is miraculously throwing her high school bully ten feet in the air.
Joclyn attempts to find some answers and the courage to follow her heart. When Ryland finds her scar; only he knows what it means, and who will kill her because of it.


Book Review:
I don’t know where I should start with this book, so I shall start with this. Oh my gosh. This book did something to me, I don’t know what it was or even if I like what I did but it something to me. Ethington has definitely created something amazing with this first installment in what I am sure will be a series of awesomeness (this is the only word I can think of that will sum this whole thing up).
Let’s start with the characters, who were so lovable. Joclyn is very self-conscious of herself, with a past she just can’t seem to let go (and for good reason but I digress from telling you why), making her a female protagonists I am sure many of the female readers can connect with. Ryland, is just about the hottest things this side of the train tracks. He’s rich, with a nice hot body and face (I will not drool), and just about the kindest heart you will ever see. The love between the two of them is so sweet and yet you want to pull your hair out at the same time (I may have yanked out a few strands). As more characters are added to the throng, I came to love some and pretty much despise others (despise is the nicest word I could muster up believe me when I tell you).
For the first half of the book, it seems just like any normal story about two teenagers who obviously love another and are just denying it. Then, BAM! That’s what it seems happened on my end, just BAM, and then everything seemed to spiral out in different directions and I didn’t even know what to do. I actually started laughing like a crazy person around this part, my mother thought something was very wrong with me, and I closed the book refusing to read it for the rest of the night. Not sure if this was all because everything seemed to hit me out of nowhere, or if I was somehow expecting something like that to happen, and when it finally did, I just completely flew off my rocker.
Anyway, when I finally did get backon said rocker, and reopened the book (the next day), I was completely engrossed in the words that flowed on the page. I don’t want to say anymore in fear of giving too much away, but everything is thrown out of whack, but things will begin to fall into place in a satisfyingly upsetting way. What I mean by that is you will be so happy to finally begin to learn things but what you will learn will infuriate you very much so. Decisions have to be made that you will find painful as much as the characters, you will rage and cry with them, and in the end you will be feeling spent and broken (or I was feeling that anyway to each his own).

Favorite Quotes:
“They looked at me like I was poor (which I was), a menace (which I wasn’t), and like there was something wrong with me (which I wasn’t even sure of).”

“‘Well I think she’s done it! She has melded into the sweatshirt and become one with it.’
‘That will make it easier to wash her, that will.’”

“She lives. She lives. Praise the Lord! I thought for a second we would have to call a priest to exorcise her from the sweater.”

“‘At least she can get up there and keep her clothes on,’ she said ‘or is that too much of a challenge for you?’”

“Especially then. I think it makes you a better person. At least then you know what it feels like to love instead of living without ever knowing. I love a lot of people that I know will never love me back, but I am happier because of it.”

“‘Sorry. I was just thinking, I guess.’
‘Something good and not involving rippling muscles, I hope.’”

“‘Do you think if we wrote ‘Cynthia McFadden’ wears boy’s underwear’ on the side of the castle, she would get offended?’
‘I doubt it, but all the boys might get in a fight trying to figure out whose underwear she’s sporting.’”

“‘Well, see, someone has been avoiding me all week, and I have to hide from my father somewhere, which means that your mother and I have become best of friends. And, I know where the cups are kept in the kitchen now.’
‘No!’ I shrieked, my hand flying to my chest. Wyn stuffed her hand to her mouth in an attempt to stifle a laugh.
‘Yes, it’s true, I can now tell you where cups and plated are to be found in my own kitchen. I know it’s a shock, but soon I may even be able to locate a bowl.’ Ryland spoke seriously, like he was announcing a death, his voice causing Wyn;s laugh to come unplugged.
‘It’s a scandal.”

“His affection for his car was a fine debatable line between uncomfortable obsession and a deep love.”

“But just remember that I love you; I will always love you. And locked inside of me somewhere, I will always be waiting for you.”


All In All:
This is just a fantastic book! And I realized how long this review was since at this moment I am at 917 words (this is without the book synopsis and some other things at this point)! It is a very good book though, and I do not regret my purchase of it, and I very much hope to be able to purchase the next ones in the series in a very timely manner. I felt so many emotions reading this book, it was an emotional rollercoaster but I would not change a thing about this book. It is fabulous and I truly recommend anyone to read this, because I like to believe it has a little bit of something everyone will enjoy.


Contact Rebecca Ethington:
Twitter: @RebEthington



No comments:

Post a Comment