Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Covered in Coal by Silla Webb - Empress DJ

Title: Covered in Coal

Author: Silla Webb

Genre: Contemporary Romance

Synopsis:

Carly Jo Simon believed that Colton Weston was her future, but he shattered her heart into tiny pieces. Just like any little girl would, she assumed her daddy would always be by her side. Unbelievably, he turned his back on her when she needed him most, leaving her with no one in her life to turn to for support. Without options, Carly runs away from the only home she's ever known, leaving behind her heartache and the betrayal of the two men she loved most.

Seven years later, Carly reluctantly returns to Kentucky. Her daddy is dying of cancer and Colton is nothing like the boy she once loved and left. After her daddy passes, Carly must uproot her life in South Carolina and take control of Simon Coal Company, where she has no choice but face the pain of her past.

Can Carly keep her secrets buried deep beneath the black Kentucky coal and her heart safe from the fiery Colton Weston?

My rating:

4 ½ Hearts

Favorite Quotes:

 “When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, no one can ever tear them apart.  You are my infinity, my always, my forever.” 

My Review:

 Swoon!  My, oh my - that Colton is a sweet talker!  I fell in love with him rather quickly, although in real life, he is the type of man I probably would have no interest in at all.  This book was such a surprise to me on many levels.  I didn’t expect it to be so emotionally intense and well written.  I was such a happy camper. I consumed it as if I feared my brand new kindle would explode, I couldn’t put it down.  I am not at all familiar with coal mining, the area, or their lifestyle, yet I was interested in each character and wanted to know their backstories and thoughts.   I started getting tense when I could see I was near the end with no clear resolution in sight, then BOOM!  The worst thing in the world happened to me… a monster cliffhanger.  ARG!  I hate cliffhangers more than cockroaches, mosquitoes, and biting ants… I despise them with the heat of a thousand suns… they are a cruel marketing ploy… an evil plot against the consumer… but damn it, I am hooked!  I care about these characters and want to know what happens to them.  Even though my TBR list is long and I have deadlines for other reviews, I find I am unwilling to start a new book as I don’t want to leave this one just yet.  I continue to think about it days later.  You are an evil genius Silla Webb – I shake my fist at you with one hand and blow kisses to you with the other.  Sigh.  Sign me up for the next installment – pretty please…


No comments:

Post a Comment