Monday, March 2, 2015

Book Review: The Ship has Sunk by Michelle Graves

TheShipHasSunkTour


The Ship Has Sunk 
Publication Date: December 23, 2014 



Tour: The Ship Has Sunk by Michelle Graves


I wanted three things out of life: to be successful, to make use of my journalism degree, and to write for the Life and Style section of a big name paper. Unfortunately, things never work out quite the way I plan. Some place between life's little twists and turns and a botched assignment, I found myself standing on the edge of the Puget Sound. If I don't nail this assignment, I'm out of a job and practically homeless thanks to my mom's edict. The challenges of an unwelcome travel companion aside, life could be far worse. I mean, who doesn't love Dragon Boat racing?

Add to Goodreads

My Rating:


Favorite Quotes:


“Why they had to wand me, I wasn’t sure.  And not to complain, but I didn’t think the metal detector want was meant to bonk the passengers in the head.  I was pretty sure the TSA agent had been drinking.”

“Righteous indignation didn’t have the same effect when the person raining down the hurt was only wearing one shoe.  Why couldn’t I come up with quick comebacks?  I was a writer for crying out loud!”

“For all I knew his rudeness was some sort of rare disease that was highly contagious.  Oh my gosh, I think I already caught it.  I’d been rude to him for the last almost hour.”

“I think you just crushed seventeen-year-old-me’s dreams.  You want to go steal a child’s ice cream while you’re at it?  Maybe kick a nun?”

“I looked down at my formerly bright green Tom’s, suddenly ashamed I’d brought attention to them.  Not only did they make my feet smell horrid, but they were riddled with holes from where I’d worn them so much.” 


My Review:


Michelle Grave’s The Ship has Sunk, is a fun and feisty novella, that is perfect entertainment for a lazy afternoon of light reading.  Sometimes I need something light to clear the brain wrinkles from heavier genres, and this book was a timely find for me.  Poor Maggie has the worst luck and believes fate and karma have conspired against her.  She is smart and nerdy, but clumsy and apparently cursed with bad timing and questionable social skills.  I enjoyed the light read, humor, and visuals Ms. Grave’s words painted in my head.  The writing is crisp, humorous, and easy to read, but far too short, I wanted to spend more time with the hapless Maggie. 

Empress DJ


About Michelle Graves


AuthorMichelleGraves
Michelle Graves is a self-proclaimed nomad, moving every two to three years with her husband the Army man, her beautiful daughter, and a fat tailless cat named Torri. When she is not writing away trying to purge her mind of yapping characters she can be found entertaining her daughter, attempting to craft (whilst trying not to injure herself with the glue gun), baking yummy treats, or reading. She admits to having a restless spirit and forces her family to go out on adventures whenever possible. They lovingly play along.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment